Sunday, September 5, 2010

Cheddar Corn Chowder and more . . .

I made an Ina Garten recipe for Cheddar Corn Chowder the other night.  It was good, and I tried to make it a little healthier than her recipe.  I left out the butter.  I used vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.  I used skim milk instead of the half and half and added 1/2 cup fat free sour cream, some hot sauce, and some extra salt.  (I halved the recipe, so you would have to add a cup of sour cream, if you were making the whole batch.) I also used jarred roasted red peppers instead of fresh red pepper. I'm sure it wasn't as rich and creamy as the original recipe, but it tasted great.  And I was guilty enough about the bacon fat, so I just couldn't do the cream!

Last night I made "Cheesecake Factory" Crab Cakes with remoulade sauce.  They tasted so good -- but they fell apart while I was frying them.  Probably had something to do with the fact that I only used an egg white instead of the whole egg.  I'll do better next time. The remoulade sauce was so good I need to think of some other stuff to put that on . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment