Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow Day Soup

When there is 1/2-inch of ice covering everything, it is necessary to find something to cook for supper that doesn't require a trip to the grocery store.  I was in the mood for something in the crock pot, so here's the soup I came up with.

Brown some sausage (I used 3 links of spicy Italian sausage) in a skillet.

Add the sausage and the following to a crock pot:

1 chopped onion
2 stalks chopped celery
2 chopped carrots
2 cloves garlic, chopped
6 oz. chopped mushrooms
3 diced potatoes
1 can diced tomatoes
1 quart vegetable stock
2 cups water
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
salt
Italian seasoning

I let this cook for about 4 hours. About 1/2 hour before serving, I added about a cup of thawed frozen spinach (you could use fresh, too.)

I sprinkled with Parmesan cheese when serving. It was pretty tasty for just being "thrown together."

No comments:

Post a Comment