Sunday, August 29, 2010

Another summer project

I found 4 sets of dish towels embroidered by my husband's grandmother.  They were just in a box with a bunch of stuff in storage at the farm.  These are the really nice, big, linen dish towels embroidered with the days of the week (or the "chores" of the week.)  They were yellowed and stained and really looked like they probably should be trashed.  I have never had the opportunity to try the "magic potion" for getting the yellow stains out of old linens.  There are various recipes but they all usually involve "Biz."  So, I used the internet and picked my formula.  I filled a big plastic tub out on my deck with hot water and a strong solution of Biz and Oxyclean.  I put all the towels in the solution and left them there for over 24 hours.  Several times I went and stirred them up.  I could see the water getting yellow as the towels became whiter!  I wrung them out the best I could and put them in my washer to rinse only.  I hung them to dry.

I was really pleased with the results.  I can find a few small spots and discolorations if I really look for them, but the difference is astounding.  I should have taken a "before" picture, but of course I never thought of that.  I plan to give a set to each of my sisters-in-law.

No comments:

Post a Comment