Sunday, August 22, 2010

Two New Recipes and Dessert

Tonight I tried Jammin' Salmon Burgers and Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, both Food Network recipes. We really enjoyed the whole meal.  Here are the minor changes I made:

For the burgers, I didn't use grape seed oil, just canola oil.  Didn't have fresh dill, so used dry.  I served these on our "healthy" whole wheat thin buns with lettuce.

For the salad (possibly the best pasta salad I've ever had), I didn't have capers so I used a couple of green olives.  I didn't have fresh mozzarella, so I just used the regular stuff.  I used bow tie pasta and I FORGOT the parmesan and the basil -- I'm so mad about that -- I'm sure it would have been good and I have a lovely basil plant out on my deck!!  I'm going to put some basil in for the leftovers, but I don't really think the parmesan is necessary.  I will probably just put 1/2 a cup in.

For dessert, Strawberry Banana Frozen Yogurt.  After I made the peach last week, I just had to keep going, and this was wonderful.  I used frozen strawberries, and a frozen banana (I freeze them after they get too ripe and use them for banana bread, etc.)  I cooked them with 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup Splenda -- I still haven't got up the nerve to try all Splenda.  The peach I made last week froze SO hard, that I wondered what I did wrong.  After doing a little research, I decided that I needed some fat in the yogurt.  All the recipes said to use full fat yogurt or to add a couple of tablespoons of heavy cream.  I don't even know what full fat yogurt is.  Every yogurt at my grocery store says low fat.  So, after the fruit cooled and I mashed it up real well, I added 2 cups of vanilla yogurt (low fat) and 2 tablespoons of cream.  The finished product hasn't been in the freezer long enough for me to tell if the fat made a difference, so I'll let you know.

I haven't dirtied that many dishes in a long time! These recipes are definitely worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment