Monday, October 26, 2009

Fun in the kitchen . . .

I had fun this weekend cooking.  On Sunday I made chili -- I won't give you the recipe, because I make it different every time, but my secret "standard" ingredient is chunky salsa.  I like the Mexican "zing" it gives the chili.

I wanted to make a caramel apple pie -- with apples I picked from the farm on Sunday!  All the recipes I found were for double crust pies, which I don't care for.  So, I melted some caramel (about 1/2 a bag) or you could use caramel sauce.  I poured a layer of caramel in the bottom of the crust before I put the apples in.  Then, I made the usual French apple crumb topping (1 cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 cup cold butter).  I drizzled the rest of the caramel on top of the crumb topping.  It was YUMMY!

Also got the bread machine out, to practice making rolls for the holidays.  I make dinner rolls, caramel rolls, and use the same recipe for pizza crust!  But, I wanted to try it with some whole wheat flour and Splenda.  The dinner rolls I made were delicious -- not much different than the originals, so I'm happy with that.  Tonight I'm making pizza with the other half of the dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment