Friday, October 16, 2009

What's cooking . . .

Last night I was in the mood for soup.  Couldn't decide what kind, but I wanted something creamy.  I wondered if I could make a fettuccine alfredo type soup.  Somewhat healthier than the original.  I searched the web for recipes, but didn't find anything.  So I decided to create.  My husband said the result "tasted wierd," but he's not an alfredo fan, and was expecting a more traditional chicken noodle soup.  Here's what I did, and I thought is was pretty good.


Cook 4 chicken breasts in olive oil (salt and pepper.)  Remove from pan and cut up.
Add 4 cloves of garlic to the pan and saute for a minute.
Add 3 cups of chicken stock and 3 cups of water to the pan and bring to a boil.
Add 1/2 pound of fettuccine noodles (broken up) and boil for 10 minutes.
Add 1/2 cup of sour cream, 1/2 cup of cream cheese (I used low fat for both), 1/4 cup butter.
Add 1 to 2 cups of milk (you could use cream here, or 1/2 & 1/2 if you want it richer)
Add 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese.
Add salt & pepper
Whisk until smooth.  Add the chicken back to the pan.

Add some fresh parsley right before serving.


What I would change:  I think I would use macaroni or some other type noodle.  Even though the fettuccine was broken, it still kept sliding off the spoon.  You could also add some peas or greens like spinach or kale to make it even healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment