Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Recent cooking . . .

I made a few things this past week that I wanted to tell you about -- just haven't had time!  First, last Thursday I made Cream of Potato Soup.  I started with a recipe from my Just One Pot cookbook.  But I changed it quite a bit, so I'm just going to give you my recipe below:

2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic
8 medium potatoes
1 tsp allspice
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
2 cups soy milk
2 cups vegetable stock
1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1/2 c parmesan cheese
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese

Saute the onion, pepper and garlic in the oil and butter until tender.  Add the spices, potatoes, and flour, stirring well, then add the stock and milk.  Cook 15 - 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.  Remove the bay leaf, and use your immersion blender to puree the soup (or transfer it to a regular blender.)  Add the parsley, and cheeses and it's ready to serve!

We had a birthday party for my son this weekend.  Of course, I had to make traditional lasagna -- with meat -- but I also made a vegetable lasagna that I thought turned out pretty good.  The only change I made to the recipe was that I used fat-free cottage cheese instead of the ricotta and I added mushrooms to the vegetables.  Also -- whole wheat lasagna noodles.  It was a hit.  No one could tell there was tofu in it!

Last night, I made a Black Bean Burrito Bake, which was also very good.  The change I made to that recipe was that I used soy yogurt instead of the sour cream (I would have used soy sour cream, but I didn't have any -- you couldn't tell the difference.)  And, I put cheddar cheese INSIDE each burrito, instead of on top.  I love the smoky flavor of the chilies in adobo sauce -- try them.

No comments:

Post a Comment