Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Pasta E Fagioli

I modified a recipe from one of my cookbooks for Pasta E Fagioli (Pasta and Beans.)  I had a ham steak that I wanted to use, so this is what I came up with.

Saute 1 cup of each - onions, carrots and celery -- in a little olive oil until tender.  Add the following:

5 cups chicken broth
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 tbsp. tomato paste
diced ham steak (about 2 cups)
2 cans white beans (cannellini or great northern) drained and rinsed

Bring to a boil.  Add 8 oz. short pasta (I used tri-color rotini) and boil for 10 minutes.  Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.

We thought it was pretty tasty!  Forgot to take a picture, but you can use your imagination.  It looked like soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment